Thursday, October 30, 2008

Update

Hello ,I know it has been a while but it took this long to get some answers. Three visits to
Tucson and the U.of.A Cancer Center has accepted me for a trial of a new chemo drug called
STD4783 mixed with Taxol. This trial is in it's 3rd phase and the statistics look very good.
Dr. Hersh and his team are very optimistic of this new drug.

For those of you who are not familiar with a clinical trial. Drug companies have to go through
3 or 4 phases of testing on a number of people before they can receive FDA approval.
For example, phase 1, 6 people, phase 2, 100 people, phase 4, 1000 people ,phase 5 so on.
Half the people get a placebo and half get the drug. The results get tallied and the drug
is FDA approved or not.

This new drug in conjunction with taxol has shown to be very effective on melenoma.
I am very lucky to be accepted, now I am praying I get the goods and my body will be
cleansed of this cancer. I am supposed to start treatment in Tucson next week.
I'll let you know as I know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Thank you for keeping us all posted, you are in my thoughts often!

Anonymous said...

There you go experimenting again, OH start it!!! Love and prayers brother, this is a battle your going to WIN!!!

Keith

Tina Sullivan said...

I am SO excited for you! My thoughts and prayers are with you for getting the drug.

You are a pioneer and definately my hero. The results of this treatment will affect many and I will never forget what you are doing for all of us melanoma fighters.

Okay, enough of the sappy stuff. Go destroy the beast! I just know we are going to see some major butt kicking from you.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Awesome news

Anonymous said...

Chio ~ As always, our prayers and thoughts are with you. We are always thinking of you and this is something you will beat, just like your mother did -- you both have that strong will! Keep the positive thoughts as we have.

Love, Cathy, Sydney & Karsyn

Summerbead said...

Pete,
Hello! I wanted to let you know that as another fellow "melanoma warrior" ~ who's tumor is also "unresectable" ~ I can relate to all the anxiety and worry. I wanted to let you know ~ as I am sure you are aware ~ there is always Hope. I am so glad that you have found a great clinical trial. I have yet to hear of this one. I will be sure to check into it. At this very moment, my cells are in the lab at the National Cancer Institue ~ I hope that they are growing and fighting the active melanoma! If so, I will be able to reieve a treatment called the TIL. It is a week of chemo followed by my manipulated cells put back in, followed by an IL-2 booster. This treatment as well, has been shown to be 50% effective and in our world of melanoma ~ we know how rare these stats are. I will continue to think of you doing this time and throughout your fight. I wish you the absolute best. Enjoy Life ~
My Best,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Chio - sorry to hear the monster is back, but I know you will kick it's ass. Love & prayers to you.

xo - Mary (from Orange County, CA)

CB said...

Hi Pete,

I'm a friend of Tina and have been following your blog. I am sending lots of positive thoughts and strength your way to help you along on your journey!

Cathy